Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Franklin Divorce Attorney > Columbia Divorce Enforcement Attorney

Columbia Divorce Enforcement Attorney 

Going through divorce is tough, so you might expect that the worst is behind you when the process concludes and the judge enters a final decree. Unfortunately, you might encounter issues if your ex-spouse refuses or fails to comply with the court’s orders. The good news is that a decree for divorce in Tennessee is legally binding, so it is enforceable through legal action when a party violates the terms of the order.

Because the process for enforcing divorce decrees can be complicated, it is wise to trust a skilled lawyer for help. At Fort, Holloway, & Rogers, LLC, we are prepared to handle the essential legal tasks, including filing necessary documents and representing you in court. Please contact our firm to set up a consultation with a Columbia divorce enforcement attorney who can explain the process. It is also useful to review some basic information about your options.

Divorce Orders Subject to Enforcement

When a party subject to a court order violates its terms, the other party can request that the court use its powers to force compliance. Almost any issue that was covered in your final divorce decree is subject to enforcement, including:

Issues Regarding Minor Children: One of the most common violations is failure to pay child support, so you can enforce the obligation by placing a lien on property, garnishing wages, or attaching property. Interference with custody and visitation can lead to serious penalties through enforcement action, possibly leading to a sole custody arrangement for serious misconduct. 

Alimony: It is also possible to enforce a court’s order on spousal support, which may also include interest and back due amounts.

Property Division: Enforcement of asset distribution does not arise as often as other issues, but it is possible that you need court involvement. A judge can order turnover of assets or force the other party to execute documentation to transfer ownership.

Assistance from a Columbia Divorce Enforcement Lawyer

There are legal requirements and procedural rules to follow when requesting the court to enforce a divorce decree. Our team at Fort, Holloway, & Rogers, LLC will tackle all essential tasks, such as:

  • Gathering evidence related to the violations;
  • Reaching out to your ex-spouse and/or legal counsel in an attempt to resolve disputes without court action;
  • Preparing the petition to request divorce enforcement, along with all supporting documentation;
  • Handling service of process; and
  • Representing you at a contested hearing.

Note that it is never a good idea to take divorce enforcement matters into your own hands, such as withholding support or denying visitation. Doing so could lead to legal hassles and sanctions.

Consult with Our Columbia Divorce Enforcement Lawyers About Options

While a minor infraction may not be reason to take aggressive legal action, it is critical to take advantage of all enforcement tools when your rights are adversely impacted by violations of the divorce decree. Our team at Fort, Holloway, & Rogers, LLC will develop an appropriate strategy, so please contact us to learn more. You can call 931-901-2300 or go online to schedule a consultation with a Columbia divorce enforcement attorney.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2020 - 2024 Fort, Holloway, & Rogers, LLC. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.